Thursday 24 November 2011

Week 10: Introduction to Pre-production Documentation Unit

Introduction to pre-production documentation unit
I have been introduced to the new unit within media studies. This unit focuses on the pre-production documents of a practical project. This unit is joint with my 2D Animation unit and the pre-production work which I produce within this media studies unit will help me improve my initial pre-production work. I have been able to understand what should be included within my pre-production documents and why we carry out pre-production work.

The reason for completing pre-production work includes:

·         Gain ideas for design and layout of the product which will relate to the target audience and the aspects which will appeal to them.

·         Organising the production with a production schedule will ensure for the production to be scheduled correctly and all the required documents are included. This helps organize time frames to determine how long to spend on a certain task.

·         Prevent problems from occurring with a Contingency Plan. This ensures that any potential problems will be approached and resolutions can be discussed.

·         Primary research can be carried out for the target audience. This allows me to ensure that my product will appeal to the target audience.

·         Research into similar/existing products will help me understand what is included within a certain product such as the 2D educating animation. 

·         Identify and research practical requirements for the production.

·         Identifying necessary resources for the production, this includes practical arrangements.

All of the above elements are those which I will need to consider within completing this unit. The work which I produce in this unit will help me improve my initial 2D animation pre-production documentation. I believe that this is good for me as I believe that my original pre-production could be improved. Therefore I have been allowed the time within this media studies unit to improve these documents.
There are many different elements of pre-production work and these include: Budget, Risk Assessment/ health and safety, Resources, Client and Audience Needs, Software Techniques, Primary/ Market Research, Locations, Regulations, Personnel and Materials. These are all elements which need to be approached and considered within pre-production of a production. These are the elements which I will be approaching within this unit to improve my present/past work.

I have completed a Pre-production process table. This includes the elements of pre-production, what I need to do to complete the document and how I will do this. For example, for the finance I have identified that I need to work out a budget for my 2D animation and then how I will do it by researching into existing animations. This allows me to research into the graphic designer’s rate cards to see how much it cost them to create a 60 second 2D animation. I repeated this process for the following pre-production elements: timescale, personnel, facilities, materials, contributors and codes of practice and regulation.

I will now carry out research into relation to the ‘How I will do it’ section in the table for the various elements.

No comments:

Post a Comment