Sunday 6 November 2011

Week 7: Textual Analysis Complete

I have completed the final worksheet (4b), this asked me to discuss the reality TV genre and carry out a textual analysis. This involves me deconstructing the content within the programme. I analysed the reality TV programme Made In Chelsea, these are the different aspects which I focused on:
  • Codes and Conventions: real characters, real settings, publicity seekers and real situations.
  • How the audience consume the content: how the audience are consider when creating a new reality TV show.
  • How the programme is aimed at a certain audience: characters and real situations- the audience can relate to these aspects.
  • Why the audience enjoy watching the reality TV programmes: see the lifestyle of others and follow them in what happens in their lives.
  • Representations: stereotypes within Made In Chelsea- how posh people are portrayed within this reality TV show.
  • How the reality TV genre has changed over time: different subgenres of reality TV have developed and become well known.
  • Narrative Structure: Linear Narrative- many reality TV programmes follow this narrative because the audience are following the events which happen in peoples live. These events happen in chronological order.
  • Multi-strand narrative: Reality TV shows such as Made in Chelsea and The Only Way is Essex follow the structure. This is because the one programme follows many different characters, showing the audience the different lives of these people in the show.
The above aspects are those which I have included within my report. Through writing this report and carrying out this textual analysis, I have gained knowledge in what reality TV shows are and the content which is included within the programme as a genre. I also discussed how the audience interpret and consume the programme content and why reality shows appeal to viewers.
I also included the different theoretical approaches to a textual analysis. This is included within my research and these methods include:
  • Semiotics: this includes how the meaning is constructed through the language or codes of the media text.
  • Codes and Conventions: These are the elements recognised by the audience because it is a particular genre. By carrying out this type of method for the textual analysis I would be looking at the codes and conventions which the audience expect within a reality TV programme. This is the approach which I took to carry out my textual analysis. This worked well as I was able to analyse the codes and conventions within the programme. I then expanded on the other content within the programme which makes the programme, such as representation and narrative structure.
  • Encoding and Decoding: this approach involves the producer encoding a text (giving the text an intended meaning) and the audience decoding (audience interpret the text individually) the text.
  • Preferred Readings: there are several preferred readings which could help carry out a textual analysis. This all relates to the fact that the texts have a preferred and intended meaning, these readings include:
-Accepting the preferred meaning.
-Take a negotiated position: agreeing with part of the intended meaning but not with all of the meaning.
-Oppositional meaning shows the audience understanding the preferred meaning, but alternative values are used to interpret the text individually.

The Theoretical approach which I used within my textual analysis was the codes and conventions. The reason for this is because I found this the easiest method to relate to the reality TV programme in order to carry out the textual analysis to analyse the programme. I have shown my research into these theoretical approaches within my notes which I will include with my secondary research.

I have also learnt how to carry out a textual analysis. I firstly carried out research into the reality TV genre and the codes and conventions of this genre. I also used my personal knowledge and viewing experiences for the research part. I created the table from worksheet 4a to analyse the Made In Chelsea episode which will help me to write my report. This included aspects such as camera angles, mise-en-scene, sound and codes and conventions. Overall, I have learnt a lot about reality TV through these worksheets and gain skills, especially within carrying out a textual analysis. This worksheet is due in w/b 14th November, although I am away for 2 weeks (from w/b 7th November), therefore I discussed with my media studies lecturer and they allowed me to hand the worksheet when I return to college on 21st November. I did also submit my Audience Response worksheet which is due in w/b 14th November last week (31st October) early as I completed the worksheet in half term.

No comments:

Post a Comment